Thursday, February 3, 2011

Calling All Geeks!

Last Summer I did an experiment that I called the Hyde and Geek/Kids Need to Read 36 Hour Tweetathon. The idea was that I'd sit in front of my computer and tweet every ten minutes to help raise money for charity. In this case, the charity was Kids Need to Read, an organization dedicated to getting books in the hands of kids. I managed to stay awake through the event  (thanks to a ton of Red Bull), had a ton of fun, and my awesome Twitter friends and followers rose to the challenge and raised nearly $2000 for charity!

Last season's Tweetathon was such a success that I've decided to do it again! In fact, I'm considering making it an annual event. But to the point of this post...

Last year, my good Twitter-pal, Brian Truitt of USA Weekend helped me out by giving away a copy of The Losers on DVD to one random Twitter-ite who helped to promote the Tweetathon through some retweets. So, as I began planning this year's event, I thought to myself "What if other geeks and friends would like to help out by giving prizes?"

That's where you come in.

I'm looking to geeky businesses of all stripes who would like to help out a great cause and get exposure for their business at the same time. What I'm looking for are prize donations of any sort that I can give away during and after the Tweetathon. This can be anything from gift baskets, samples of your wares, gift cards, random junk you have lying around your office, or just about anything else you can think of that somebody out there might want. In return, you'll get the name of your business plastered all over the charity page once I set that up, this blog as I post about the event, your name and business promoted throughout the Tweetathon, and my eternal and undying gratitude.

I'm also looking for anyone who has a blog, a website, Facebook, Twitter, or any other online soapbox who would be willing to help me promote this thing so that we can blow it out of the water again!

If any of the above sounds like you, send an e-mail to Scott (that's me) at swank_stuff@yahoo.com or DM me at @hydeandgeek on Twitter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment