Thursday, May 14, 2009

Top 5 Entertainment Earth Exclusives

I had so much fun selecting the top 5 Star Trek Entertainment Earth items last week that I decided to hit up the EE Exclusives department today and pick the creme de la creme. These are all based on my own personal geek proclivities so feel free to discuss your own tops in the comments. And away we...go!

#5 Alex Ross Flash Gordon 7-inch Ming (black)
As a child of the '80s, who didn't love the Flash Gordon movie? Cool hero? Check. Scantily clad babes? Check. Awsome villain? Check. Queen soundtrack? Check. Hordes of winged men in homoerotic leather? Wait. What!? (Insert the sound of suppressing childhood trauma here.) But the centerpiece for me was Max von Sydow as Ming the Merciless. He was up there with Darth Vader and Cobra Commander in my 8 year old eyes. And now EE has this exclusive figure (based on art by none other than the genius Alex Ross by the way). Coolness abounds!
EE Exclusive Alex Ross Flash Gordon 7-Inch Ming (Black)

#4 The Dude (Unemployed) 8-inch Action Figure
The Big Lebowski is one of those movies that just gets in your psyche and never leaves. With it's quirky characters and oddball storyline, I consider it a post-modern masterpiece of cinema. And part of the reason for that is Jeff Bridges as...The Dude. And now all the fans of the show can put this cool EE exclusive Dude figure (complete with the Rug that ties the room together) on your shelf right next to that bowling ball shaped collectors DVD that you picked up (or am I the only one who got that thing?). The Dude abides.
EE Exclusive The Dude (Unemployed) 8-Inch Action Figure

#3 Star Wars Boba Fett and Carbonite Maquette
Again back to the '80s child in me. The Empire Strikes Back was the 2nd movie that I ever saw in the theater. (The 1st being Herbie Goes Bananas but that's a story for another day). Even as a 6-year old kid, I saw the badassedness (Is that a word? If not, I just coined it! Dibs!) of Boba Fett. He has all of 4 lines in the movie but, in those 4 lines, he told me that he's as big a villain (if not bigger) than The Vader himself. Plus, he's the one who captured Han Solo! And Han Solo was the coolest good guy on Star Wars and I figured that if you could take him down, you must be a hard ass. And so, my obsession with Boba Fett began. Over the years, I've collected various posters, toys, statues and whatnot of the bounty hunter. Now EE tempts my wallet again with this exclusive maquette of The Fett and Han Solo in carbonite. It's by Gentle Giant who are known for making awesome sculptures. I wonder if encasing my wallet in carbonite will help. Nah!
EE Exclusive Star Wars Boba Fett and Carbonite Maquette

#2 Nightmare on Elm Street Freddy Krueger Maquette
And we return to Gentle Giant for our number 2 pick. Readers of this blog will already know that I'm an avid horror fan so it should come as no surprise to see Freddy Krueger show up rather high on this list. I could look at this Freddy maquette for hours. It's just so amazing a sculpt! Freddy looks so awesome in this animated form that it makes me wish someone like Adult Swim would get the licensing to make this a reality. But it's the oblivous teenage girl in her panties (Yeah. That made you click the link didn't it?) that tops this one off. Her expression is priceless. Plus she's holding on to a Jason Vorhees doll. What more could you ask for? 1. 2. Freddy's coming for you...
EE Exclusive Nightmare on Elm Street Freddy Krueger Maquette

#1 Back to the Future II Delorean Vehicle
What better way to top out a list that's dominated by '80s childhood memories than with the car that could actually take me back to the '80s? Back to the Future is in my top 3 '80s movies. The other 2 being Ghostbusters and Monster Squad...you figure out the order. The adventures of Marty McFly and Doc through the past (and future) filled my childhood mind with thoughts of sci-fi and time travel (and probably contributed to me not getting a girlfriend for quite a while...but it was worth it). And what makes this EE exclusive Delorian vehicle #1? (Like it needed anything else?) It can fit 3.25 inch action figures. Yes. Now G.I. Joe can hop in the Delorean and travel to the future to help the Rebellion fight Darth Vader. Oh! Now I'm excited! I want to see Snake Eyes vs. Boba Fett. My head would explode at the awesomeness!
EE Exclusive Back to the Future II DeLorean Vehicle

That's my shameless EE plug for now, folks! (i.e. Buy something via one of those links and support my blog addiction.) Now stay tuned here for more geeky fun!

1 comments:

  1. Hi! This is my first visit to your blog, and I am sure to return! =D
    This post is great, I'm a horror geek myself (ashamed to admit I only recently discovered Fango & horror cons, but I went to Fango Chicago both '08 & '09, and met my idol: George Romero!! haha), that Freddy one is badass! I love that she's holding the Jason doll too, so awesome!! ;D

    ReplyDelete