Thursday, April 28, 2011

Kids Need to Read Tweetathon Date Announced!

The 2011 Kids Need to Read 36-Hour Tweetathon is officially going to take place from Thursday, May 19th at noon through Friday, May 20th at midnight.

For those who missed out on the fun in 2010, I'll recap the basic idea. (More details can be found in the FAQ.) I will be sitting in front of my computer for 36 hours straight and tweeting at least once every 10 minutes for the duration of that time to encourage people to donate money to Kids Need to Read through a charity page that will be set up specifically for the Tweetathon. What will I do for 36 hours? That's sort of random. Last year, I asked geek trivia questions, posted photos (some of them embarrassing) and made a general fool of myself. This year, well... we'll just see how it goes, shall we?

Just be sure to follow me on Twitter so you don't miss out on all the geeky fun!

As for why, I would do this... it's because, as an avid reader and future teacher, I absolutely love the ideas behind Kids Need to Read. If you haven't head of them before, Kids Need to Read is a charity organization that provides books and reading programs to underfunded libraries, schools, and literacy programs. (For the Browncoats among you, it was co-founded by none other than Capt. Tightpants himself, Firefly's Nathan Fillion!) To find out more about KNTR, check out the Tweetathon FAQ or visit the KNTR official site.

I had a blast in 2010 and, with the help of a lot of awesome geeks on Twitter, raised nearly $2000 for Kids Need to Read! The 2011 Tweetathon is going to be bigger and better all around! I have prizes lined up from all sorts of geeky outlets around the world! (Click here for the full list of sponsors.) "What sort of prizes?" you ask. I will be posting a full list of prizes very soon.

That's it for now. Stay tuned to this blog for more details.

Related links:
Hyde and Geek on Twitter
Kids Need to Read

0 comments:

Post a Comment