Sunday, July 27, 2008

The US Officially Gets "Spaced"


I've been a fan of Simon Pegg & Edgar Wright's "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" for years now but, amazingly, I'd never seen their television program "Spaced" until this last week.

This program aired on the BBC's Channel 4 in the UK in 1999-2001 and apparently became a big bootleg DVD hit with geek culture on both sides of the big pond since then. I'd heard of it in relation to "Shaun of the Dead", but never took the time to track it down.

When I heard it was being released with region 1 DVD coding this past week, I figured "why not?" and picked it up.

Over the next two days, I watched all 14 episodes of the 2 season set and I have two words to say to Simon and Edgar:

FUCK YOU!

Fuck you for making only 2 seasons! There should've been more! Where the Hell is season 3!?

There's a reason this show has such a geek following. It is simply brilliant!

The first thing that shocked me was how closely the characters resembled pieces of myself and my friends about 10 years ago...and even now to an extent. Yes. This is a British comedy, but the characters are spot on with the kind of slacker/geek culture that you'll find in any country around the globe. It's a kind of universal language.

The other cool thing is how many inside homages, jokes and film references are hidden throughout.

I'm currently watching season 1 a second time and listening to the commentary track and I'm already finding film references that I missed the first go 'round.

This is definitely taking a treasured place on my DVD shelf along with "Arrested Development" and as a series that I can watch time and time again.

I don't know if I'd say it's my new favorite yet, but it may take that honored spot if it can hold up to my repeated viewings.

At least it'll give me something to watch until Simon and Edgar get off their asses and make a 3rd season...or another movie!

Oh. And one last cryptic note for those of you who, like me, want more "Spaced"...skip to the end.

0 comments:

Post a Comment